Monday, December 21, 2009

Bridge Crane Construction Part 5

Well it’s finely done. Painting it turned out to be more of a chore than I thought. I used a whole bottle of Floquil “reefer orange” to paint the main structure and the cab was painted Floquil “CNW yellow”. The bucket cable and spools were painted with Floquil “weathered black”. The roofs on the mechanical house and electrical cabinet cover were painted Floquil “roof brown”, along with the interior of the unload shut. All of the orange and yellow was air brushed. The roofs, cable and unload shut were painted with a brush.

I did not use the window material supplied in the kit. Depending on the model and its location dictates what kind of window material I use. In this case I went with Micro-scale “Kristal Klear”, when applied to an individual window pane it will dry fairly flush. What is Kristal Klear? It’s a liquid material that resembles white glue, when it dries it’s clear. The trick for getting a great looking window will depend on how much material you apply to the opening. You want to apply as little as possible. I typically fill the opening quickly with a fare amount, and then I take my applicator and push it through the opening and back it out slowly to remove excess material. You want the middle of the area you just completed to look like it’s already dried (clear). The edges take longer because there’s more material there. The nice thing about this product is that if you don’t like your results just simply scrape out the opening and try again. I recommend practicing on left over windows from other projects first. You will need to develop your own technique. It can get a little frustrating.

Finishing touches; I added a few decals on the cab and mechanical housing, then I air brushes them and the window treatments with Testors “Dulcoat”.





8 comments:

  1. That's a great looking ore bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose this crane is not like the ones that pivot on an axis. This type suspends a trolley where a motorized winch is fastened. When you get to the part of reinforcing the top of its beam, weld a 2” – 4” steel strap. It should be perpendicular to both sides of the top cord to reduce flexion under heavy load. This design is what gives the beam its strength.

    Thelma Bowman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you gotta leave the thinkin' to the men, Thelma

      Delete
  3. This is one of the cutest bridge cranes that I’ve seen. You exerted a lot of effort in the painting and I can see that in the photos you’ve posted. I’ve worked with cranes when I worked at a factory before and we’ve been using that to transport products from the warehouses to delivery trucks. I guess what I love most there is placing the straps of the packages that were placed before we transferred them.

    < Carl Patten >

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why but I feel this is not the strong crane meant to work in that environment. Anyways, nice pictures. I'll read earlier parts also.

    Regards,
    Bruce
    Construction Equipment Parts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you don't know why, why say it? trump voter?

      Delete
  5. I was very happy that I discovered this website. I needed to thank you for this excellent information

    ReplyDelete