Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Steel Mill Module 3 Redesign - Part 3








Last night I started lining up the rails on the end-plate template. I soldered the rails at template height and aligned the gap between the rails. Next, with the template still in place I began boring the new frontier alignment pin holes. The new holes did not interfer with the old pin system so I didn't waste anytime filling in the old alignment holes. Drilling the new holes straight is a very import step in the alignment system. I used a speed square and a line level taped to the top of my drill to help ensure that the holes are drilled as straight as possible. Next, I removed the template and sanded the end plate flush to remove any over-hang of wood and rail. Then I used my Dremel to scribe a line between the rails and between the two (2) tracks on the mainline to isolate track current. As you can see in the photo, I'm just cutting through the copper plating on the circuit board.

As you can tell by the last photo, I began messing around with aligning the new track to the existing track. As you can tell by the photo, the two (2) siding tracks will have to be shortened to accommadate the curve off the 21" branch line. The two (2) main's have the gradual sweapping curves we like on the main's. It appears there will be a little room between the main's and the branch, if you noticed there's a stub of a track in the photo that could lead to a unloading site for covered hoppers maybe? H'mmmm.

1 comment:

  1. Nice interesting job, your job is really very interesting and your all three posts on this are interesting, I have read all three part of this. My work is not that much interested as yours but it is also related with steel industry.

    ReplyDelete