Sunday, December 30, 2012

Steel Mill Module 3 Redesign - Part 4





Hello all. I know it's been awhile but I got off on a new tangent with passenger trains. Looking at building a few modules with that theme in mind.

I finely got around to a finalized track arrangement. Once the track was installed and new power leads soldered on I began preparing to paint the track. I've learned a couple of new techniques for painting track, but decided to keep with what I already had.

It's pretty simple, I used Floquil "Rail Brown" for the base coat. When I'm airbrushing I aim at the sides of the rail not worrying about the over-spray. That tends to get on the ties to a degree which is OK for me at this point. Then I will paint random ties with either Floquil "Concrete or SP Lettering Gray". I airbrush these as well for the sake of time, then I go back with a brush to touch up the rails from the over-spray. This is usually just a small area around the single ties. I paint the single ties to simulate ties that have been around for a long time and that didn't get as much creasote absorption as others. Make sure that you get the ends of the ties as well, you never know if your going to completely get the ballast around the ties even.

One of the last things I do is lightly over spray all of the track using Floquil "Mud", this tends to bring the detail out and blends everything together. The last thing I do is then spray all of the track again with an enexpensive flat (spray can) paint, this is to take the shine off of the plastic ties.

One other thing that I do from time to time is to go back and paint a single tie here and there "Black" to represent a brand new tie. I also will put down fresh ballast around those ties to help pull-off the look of a recently replaced tie. I plan to do that inone or two spots in this track work. Look for the next posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment