Sunday, December 11, 2011

P&LE U28B Project - 1

Well, ...I have no excuse other than I'm a dead beat. I realize it's been a while since I made any new postings, well it's been a busy year and half with little to no time for modeling. However it looks like things are beginning to slow down for me.

No, I still haven't painted the huletts yet. That will be coming in the next few weeks or so hopefully. I liked the effect that I used in my last posting with the airbrushing, what you didn't see was that I used a "red oxide wash" after air brushing that really pulled the detail out. I regret that I don't have the pictures to show you. That was a friend of mines model that has since been returned.

I recently purchased a Stewart U25B w/Kato drive in the P&LE colors (2808). However I am going to repaint it for P&LE #2819. This was a unique unit because of the various oddities in it paint scheme. It appears to be the only U25b that had P&LE lettered on the nose, and the lettering on the cab is of "New Yor Central" font flavoring. Not to mention but this unit was still around in the time period I am modeling in (1987ish).

One of the first things i did was to remove the large steps on the pilots, in the pictures that I'm using there was none.



Next, I began adding the detailing to both ends, coupler lift bars and MU hoses. Then I began adding the grab irons around the nose of the unit and on top by the sand filler. Next was came adding the "A-line" sun shades, yes this unit did have sun shades.






At this point the loco is ready for paint, I will paint it with light grey for a primer, then repaint it black.

1 comment: